Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Review: The Collection (2012)

The Collection (2012)

Posted Image


(Originally posted here)

Just came back from this, and I was kinda... meh. Granted, I didn't see the first movie, so I didn't know who Arkin was outside the opening news scroll, but it seems he was the only returning character here. The film played out like a "greatest hits" collection of every torture movie of the last ten years, along with a brief moment about half an hour in which it turns into a zombie film, of all things (which lasts about five minutes before it's dropped), without much in the way of plot or interesting characters to string through it. I couldn't give much of a shit about any of them, given that they're given almost nothing in the way of development. This movie fell victim to the Eight Deadly Words that can kill any story -- "I don't care what happens to these people."

The only things that kept me going were the gore and the frights, and even then, it didn't match some of the "greats" of the Saw series or other splatter flicks. The mutilated corpses on display in the glass cases were quite impressive, the kills were all very bloody, and I got real chills during the scene where Arkin was wandering in the room with the flickering light. The opening slaughter at the nightclub, of course, is one that will go down in the record books as one of the most ridiculous bloodbaths ever put into a horror film, in terms of both bloodshed and the way it's set up. Too bad most of the actual kills were done with so much shaky-cam that I couldn't tell what the hell was going on.


Score: 2 out of 5

A few bits and pieces worked, but overall, I walked out of the theater wondering why I spent $7 to see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment